Posts tagged treasure hunting
Posts tagged treasure hunting
Found at the beach in Senggigi, Lombok, Indonesia. Everything here is so naturally beautiful - but there’s rubbish everywhere which spoils it so, so much.
Submitted by Genevieve
Yes, graffiti can be an eyesore. However I couldn’t help but smile when I spotted this on a telephone pole today during my daily treasure hunt. The perfect reminder of why I am on this mission in the first place - to get the population thinking about the impact they have on the planet, and how to work together for change.
But it got me thinking. What does it mean to put the PLANET BEFORE PROFIT? Is it solely aimed at the invisible and anonymous CEO’s of major companies? Or is it aimed at everyday people like you and me? Is the definition of “PROFIT” limited to just making money, or does it also mean convenience, laziness, ignorance? To me, PROFIT is any kind of personal gain at the planet’s expense. Driving, clothes dryers, plastic bags, littering, upgrading to the ‘newest model’ phone, computer, television every time one comes out. ALL examples of convenience, laziness and PROFIT. Every decision you make affects the planet. Every time you PROFIT through one of these things, the planet suffers.
I believe we are all faced with choices everyday in which we can choose to put the planet before profit. The responsibility lies with every single one of us and there is no excuse for not participating.
If you don’t need to drive to the corner store, WALK. If you have the time, DINE-IN at the restaurant and save the packaging used by TAKE AWAY. If the weather is sunny, use a clothes LINE, not a clothes DRYER. And most importantly, if you see LITTER on the ground, please pick it up.
PLANET BEFORE PROFIT
PLANET BEFORE CONVENIENCE
PLANET BEFORE LAZINESS
PLANET BEFORE SELFISHNESS
If you have found a treasure or have something you would like to share, please click Share Your Treasure! or email email@example.com
While out on my daily rubbish run today (a.k.a treasure hunt) I encountered this handkerchief. Quite disgusting and not exactly what I would call a treasure, but still trash that needed picking up. But I came prepared with the right equipment so I could pick it up without getting anything nasty on me, and I put it straight in the bin where it belongs.
Picking up litter is such a great thing to do for the planet, but your safety should be your number one priority. So, here are a few ideas to help you become a professional and safe Treasure Hunter.
1. Don’t take risks! I’m talking about sharp objects, heights, unknown substances, etc… there are some things you just shouldn’t touch.
2. Wear GLOVES! Pretty obvious as to why.
3. Take a bag with you wherever you go, that way you’re always ready to spring into action and get lots of litter off the ground and into the bin.
4. Be sun-smart :)
5. Put your walking shoes on and turn your treasure hunt into your daily exercise routine!
6. Keep an eye out for wildlife and be sure not to disturb any animal homes, like birds nests, burrows, etc.
7. Always wash your hands after you touch any rubbish.
8. NEVER LITTER. Lead By Example.
9. Take your camera for when you find a TREASURE. Then share it with Talkin Trash so that everyone can see what you found!
10. Look at ways you can reduce your impact on the environment by buying recycled and recyclable materials. Buy second-hand clothes, WALK to the shop, don’t print emails, turn off lights when you leave a room, avoid clothes dryers when possible… Remember, ONE SMALL STEP for Mother Nature is all it takes!
You can submit your photos by clicking Share your Treasure! or via email firstname.lastname@example.org